I am a hospitality scholar-practitioner with more than 25 years’ professional experience in the field. Currently, I am teaching hospitality and tourism courses at the National University of Sciences & Technology, and at the same time, developing the curriculum for a state-of-the-art Hospitality & Tourism program at the undergraduate level.
would very much like to be part of the Rebuilding Travel Task Force and contribute to it with both my professional and academic experience and know-how. I would like to take part in the activities/initiatives involving Pakistan or South-east Asian countries as I am currently residing in Islamabad.
Tourism & Hotel Sustainability Strategies, Organizational Transformation through Participatory Methods, Change Management, Action Research, Sustainability Frameworks, Sustainability Culture of Organizations, Employee Engagement, Sustainable Luxury Management
Doctorate of Business Administration (2013-2017)
Business School Lausanne
MA Management (2012-2013)
Masters in Science (MSc) in Environmental Governance
University of Essex
Executive MBA (2010-2011)
Bachelor of European Hospitality Management (1991-1995)
Hotelschool The Hague
A Turkish native, Dr. Gulen Hashmi is an award-winning scholar-practitioner with more than twenty-five years of experience in various supervisory and managerial positions in the hospitality industry. She is a holder of the Socrates “Best Manager of the Year 2016” award from Europe Business Assembly, UK. She holds an EMBA from Sabanci University, Turkey; a Master of Science (MSc) in Environmental Governance from the University of Essex, UK; and a Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA) from Business School Lausanne, Switzerland. Her doctoral specialization lies in the area of tourism and hotel sustainability strategies, change management, organizational transformation and action research (AR) methodologies. Her articles and book chapters, which have been published by noteworthy British and American publishers, are on systemic collaborative challenges of our time, such as collaboration for tourism and sustainability and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), societal and corporate wellbeing and sustainable luxury management. Dr. Hashmi considers herself an enthusiast for projects that lie on the nexus between practice and theory: she has led a “Human Rights to Water and Sanitation in the Hospitality Industry” sustainability-training project for an international NGO in Geneva, Switzerland; and a mentoring project for a luxury hotel in London, to name a few.
Research & Publications
Dr. Gulen Hashmi’ s articles respond to systemic collaborative challenges of our time such as collaboration for sustainability, wellbeing and employee engagement in the tourism and hospitality domain.
- Hashmi, G. (2018). “Appreciative Mentoring as an Innovative Micro-practice of Employee Engagement for Sustainability: A Luxury Hotel Context”. Handbook on Sustainable Luxury, Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Springer Publishing, USA. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-6716-7_3
- Hashmi, G. (2017). “Redefining the Essence of Sustainable Luxury Management: The SLOW Value Creation Model”. A book chapter published in Sustainable Management of Luxury. Springer Publishing, USA. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-2917-2_1
- Hashmi, G. & Muff, K. (2015). “Evolving Towards Truly Sustainable Hotels Through a Well-being Lens: The S-WELL Sustainability Grid”. A book chapter published in Sustainability in Hospitality. Taylor & Francis, UK. DOI: https://doi.org/10.9774/GLEAF.978-1-78353-197-4_9
- Hashmi, G. (2015). “Beechenhill Farm Hotel’s Meaningful Legacy: Evolving from the Sustainability of Business towards the Business of Sustainability in Hospitality”. Building Sustainable Legacies Journal. Issue 7. Greenleaf Publishing, DOI: https://doi.org/10.9774/GLEAF.8901.2015.de.0006
- Hashmi, G. (2015). “Glamour and Sustainability: Thriving on a Strong Sustainability Culture as a Pioneer in Hospitality”. Building Sustainable Legacies Journal. Issue 7. Greenleaf Publishing, DOI: https://doi.org/10.9774/GLEAF.8901.2015.de.00004
- Hashmi, G. & Muff, K. (2014). “Rethinking Corporate Sustainability within the Well-being Context: The COGWHEEL Sustainability Framework”. Building Sustainable Legacies Journal. Issue 2. Greenleaf Publishing, DOI: https://doi.org/10.9774/GLEAF.8901.2014.ja.00005
Dr. Gulen Hashmi is currently teaching Strategic Management to Executive MBA (EMBA) students and Sustainability in Hospitality at the undergraduate level. She has previously taught Strategic Hospitality Management at the undergraduate level and Change Management at the master’s level. She harnesses active and participatory teaching and learning methods whereby students are highly involved in class activities and can learn through peer interaction as well as self-directed autonomy.
Dr. Gulen Hashmi’s hospitality industry experience spans over twenty-five years with hotel groups such as Hilton International, Sheraton, as well as individual mid-scale hotels, in countries like United Arab Emirates, Turkey and Romania. Her area of expertise in the field includes Food & Beverage Management, Human Resources & Training as well as general management.
Management & HR Consulting
Dr. Gulen Hashmi’s consulting experience is mainly in the education and hospitality fields. She is an experienced negotiator, and skilled in working with organizations from all sectors of society: NGOs, the private sector as well as the public sector. Her consultancy projects are as follows:
- “Human Rights to Water and Sanitation in the Hotel Industry” sustainability-training project for an international NGO in Geneva, Switzerland (2015)
- A mentoring project for the organizational transformation of a luxury hotel in London, UK. (2017)
- Next-generation university transformation projects of two public universities in Turkey (2018)
An eco-hotel development